Friday 15 April 2022

Skillz and Tooolz

Skills I have used this week, in no particular order. Some of them are old faithfuls, some are new trials or discoveries, and some I have intentionally resurrected as the usefulness of going back to things that have helped in the past has been highlighted to me. Sadly a few are not currently available to me, like ballet, massage, and probably others. There are undoubtedly some I've missed, but a good few here to give you some ideas. If you want more information on any of them just give me a shout in the comments or by direct message.

Trying different intense "push" movements instead of destructive physical actions
Writing (CBT and blogging and general brain dumping)
Going in my nook
Old skills such as emailing updates before sessions to help me talk or make sure I stick to my plans
Talking to people and verbalising my head contents
Not giving space to thoughts/urges that are untrue and unhelpful, even if they feel like they are true and helpful
Reminding myself of why those things aren't true and reasons why I do life differently now
Allowing amygdala to party when it really needs to, but not in a destructive way
Sensory walks - touching and smelling the conifer leaves, tiptoeing along the kerb etc
Tai chi
Paying attention to what my body is telling me and how it tells me that (eg. I needed to wear my noise-cancelling headphones the whole time I was in town, not just in noisy shops. I was holding the ends of my sleeves and putting my Tangle in my mouth - seeking tactile and proprioceptive input. My stomach had a sicky feeling of anxiety. I wanted my hood up at the beginning of my sensory walk - wanting to be enclosed and reduce sensory input. My shoulders were up high and tense.)
Achieving small tasks such as cooking a meal, booking an appointment or sweeping the kitchen floor
Stretching/moving my body
Sleeping
Noticing how many things I have actually coped with and why things are difficult right now
Putting on upbeat music
Soothing rhythm breathing
Safe/calm/happy place visualisation (! Bet you never thought you'd hear me say that!) and tapping
Playing games on my phone
Jigsaw puzzle
Colouring
Reading
Playing mindfully with Baby Peggy's toys (and Baby Peggy of course!)
Cuddles with Baby Peggy
Message a friend
Fidget tools eg. Tangle

No comments:

Post a Comment