Friday 8 April 2022

How To Tell When You're Overwhelmed (or at least, when I am...)

I was so overwhelmed that it took me half an hour to work out that that was why I didn't feel quite as all right as I had been doing.

Clues that I will use for reference in future:
  • Thinking a million things at once, yet completely unable to answer even fairly simple questions or focus on one specific thought or problem
  • Or it feeling like the Brian is completely empty
  • Not able to work out how you feel: "I thought I was OK but now I feel like I might not be" but unable to elaborate. Eventually after rambling aloud intermittently for a while I concluded "Maybe the feeling is anxiety. Or maybe it's not, but I think it could be."
  • A sense of impending Bad Things (eg. meltdowns/shutdowns/increased urges and likelihood of acting on them)
  • I took off my hoody after realising it was very hot in the room, and shortly afterwards noticed I was really quite visually overwhelmed by my stripy T-shirt!
  • After about half an hour I realised my body wanted to cry

Other clues I have noticed in the past include becoming irritable, becoming increasingly stressed by mess in the house, feeling more sensitive to noise, struggling to make decisions, finding change even more difficult than usual, wanting things "just so," not being able to let inaccuracies go (and not in a humorous way like usual), pacing or fiddling more than usual. The list could probably be infinite!

How do you notice signs of overwhelm?

Interestingly, I noticed that after I had the thought "my body wants to cry," my hands became still and my gaze focused on the shape of my Tangle. My thoughts stopped racing although I still found it hard to think. It was almost as though through my continued rambling I had reached the thing which was salient at that time and my mind and body came to rest, dwelling on that realisation.

Now crying is not something I enjoy, and the second half hour was spent whinging about how I didn't want to cry, along with a lot of sense from the person who is paid to talk sense to me. What might happen if I did or didn't cry, etc. etc..

In the end, once outside my body took me for a wander and I let it do its thing (for once I had no other considerations as Baby Peggy had another hour left with his Peggy-sitter). And now this afternoon I feel much better. The sense of impending Bad Things has gone, and so has the ?anxiety. I still feel exhausted but that's not surprising as I have had a busy and fairly stressful few days even though many of the things were positive and enjoyable (hence not realising that I was overwhelmed, though you'd think I'd know by now). And I've been awake since 6am of course! Time to try and go a bit gently and remind myself to watch the old occupational balance a bit. A new routine in two weeks will help, if I can construct it with the right balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment