Friday 8 April 2022

Kind Musings

Tears on my face, cold air playing with my hair, bright sun through the new leaves and my fingers on the solid truth of the tree bark, I embrace the sadness and overwhelm. I've done this a hundred times before. I will survive it again.

It comes gently when I invite it. Painfully but gently, not like the destructive distress of pushed-away pain. It hurts, this caring, and I fear it taking over - that's why I usually run from it - but it heals too, if I allow it.

Held by the deep strength of nature, I am always cared for.

It makes me vulnerable - now and probably for the next few days - I don't know how many times I can do it but maybe I don't need to worry about that. Worry about right now, and right now I have survived it.

I try not to push it away before it's finished, and to let it come and go as I follow where my attention leads through the walk with its plants, sculptures and creatures.

It has taken four sessions with three separate people to finally bring me here today - all of whom have highlighted the same theme in their own way - and it reminds me of the many others who would be proud of me today. That hurts too, but it makes me happy in a sad kind of way. I know I'm on the right track and that makes all their time, effort and care worthwhile, which is the best I can do to honour what they have given me.

I love the oak sculpture (by Tom Handley) which reads "memory that grows into a shape the tree always knew as a seed" - see below for credit and a link to Gareth Evans' poem Hold Everything Dear

I have taken a picture
almost identical to
this before

For me, nearly everything still relates back to then. A squirrel scurrying past, the smell of the earth under a group of fir trees, the texture of a wetroom floor under my bare feet, the word "agenda," I could go on and on. Everything is linked with a memory. It may be two years on, but the whole foundation of my life now is built on that time, because now I am living in recovery. Perhaps it is not disproportionate because that was when I learned a new way to live. Much as your childhood informs a huge part of who you become, that period of my life forms a huge part of who I now am. Maybe that's OK for now, if I can learn to live alongside it.




Credits
For a written or audio version of the full poem see links below:

No comments:

Post a Comment