Sunday 17 April 2022

All change!

So. Much. Change. When you have a baby!

Not surprising, yet incessantly surprising. The trouble for poor Baby Peggy is that it takes me a long time to adjust to change, so try as I might to keep up with and anticipate his ever-developing needs, he often ends up in slightly-too-small clothes for a little while until I get my head round swapping to the new size.

Put away one size of clothes, get out the next. Out of the baby bath into the big bath; get a bath mat so he doesn't repeatedly drown himself by trying to move. Out of the bedside crib into the cot. Lower the cot base because he can sit himself up (which he did at 4am!). Baby gym away to make space for crawling. Get a toothbrush and toothpaste for the teeny gnashers. Plan everything he needs for going to the childminder's. Solid food. Solid food twice a day. Solid food thrice a day (good word, thrice). Favourite toy changes every week or two - keep up if you want to keep the peace.  Move changing mat to floor to avoid wild launching of self. Acquire shoes - baby suddenly wants to stand up All The Time and it is often rainy outside.

The "routine" is constantly evolving - no sooner than I get used to the fact that the wake window is two hours than it extends by half an hour. I reckon it takes me about two weeks to adjust and it changes after three or four weeks! We settle into a pattern for about three days, and because my brain loves a pattern it is constantly searching for one, but once it's found one we change to a different one! Needing less milk because we eat more, then needing more for a growth spurt, then back to needing less again, nursing strike, ravenous after nursing strike, etc etc!

Trying to guess whether each change is permanent or temporary. So much unknown and unpredictable. It's exhausting and probably contributes to my overwhelm because the world can feel so chaotic. But I wouldn't trade it for anything, even my sanity which is a little intermittent! This little unpredictability-menace is the best thing that could have happened to me right now and I love him to pieces. Even when he's a constantly-changing contrary Mary. 

Scrumptious unpredictability-menace loves his guinea pig friends now 🥰


No comments:

Post a Comment