Sunday 16 April 2023

The Shoes of Despair!

And here's another one - thank you executive dysfunction! I've waffled about executive function before so I won't explain it now, just a little reminder of some of the applications or implications.

The hole is so big you
can see my sock

I need to buy a new pair of shoes. This has been the state of affairs for several weeks, and that's a conservative estimate based on when I obtained the refund for the faulty pair. It's actually more like several months, depending on which precise stage of decay you choose to name "out of circulation," which is a little embarrassing. (The shoes are still in circulation because I have not replaced them...)

The thing is, I buy the same shoes for everyday wear. They usually last two to three years. It was hard enough this time round when I bought them in October, the previous pair having finally worn through to having holes in the soles. They don't sell the precise same ones any more so I ordered the three closest approximations to choose from. None were quite right, obviously, so I ended up with the two I couldn't decide between (why hello again executive dysfunction, lovely to see you!). Each had benefits and drawbacks and was better in a different context. I radically accepted this 😉

BUT THEN! Within a few short months one of the pairs was already dead, even by my standards. Noooo! I ignored the fact for a while, eventually I became conscious of appearing disreputable and it takes a while before I care about that!

Finally I caved and faced the truth. So I emailed the company asking for a refund so I could buy a new pair. Excellent speedy response, no quibbles, thank you Mountain Warehouse.

Less comfy but
more presentable
But, um, that was weeks ago and I'm still wearing the old ones, with a cold toe trying not to tread in puddles on wet days. I had a rough couple of weeks in March so once I surfaced from those I told myself it was only a week until the holidays and I would do it then. It is the last night of the holidays. I haven't done it. I have begun an online search several times and become overwhelmed and suddenly I am going to be faced with work again and have only the shoes I want to keep presentable or the shoes that will probably get me sacked (either for presentation or for health and safety - no open-toed shoes 🤣). Oh dear.

But buying shoes is too much brain. I cannot buy the same for they may die just as quickly. I cannot repeat the pair I have, for I need a pair with the complementary features that are better in different environments. I can't see any other similar affordable ones. Maybe I should branch out and try a completely different type of shoe, but WHERE TO START??? And so I don't. I write blog posts about it instead...

If you see me barefoot you know why 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment