Tuesday 18 April 2023

April, Awareness, Acceptance, Anarchy

Okay, I'll be honest and tell you there's nothing about anarchy in this post, I just got bored of the boring stuff. Unless I decide to throw something anarchical in for a laugh. Most likely my use of the "word" anarchical is about as lawless as it's going to get.

I absolutely did not plan to write anything on this topic (awareness/acceptance etc, not anarchy) during April. I actually got a bit tired of posts about autism awareness month, autism acceptance month, people supporting it, people getting cross about it, it kind of put me off Autism a bit, as it were!

BUT as tends to happen, I had a moment which got me thinking.

I had one of those jolly things, a meeting about me, yippee. They usually start with people giving a brief overview of what has happened since any previous meeting. I was happy enough with the first person's summary of our work, detailing how we had made reasonable adjustments and Peggy had worked very hard etc etc.

Then the second person said something in their update which gave me the moment. "Peggy has made lots of reasonable adjustments for me and my odd ways of working and needs." 

Why does that sound odd? Answers on a postcard or in a comment - please do actually think about it!*

That just made me chuckle, while you're thinking about it

It was said in jest and taken as such, yet speaks volumes. I know exactly what that person was saying when they said it (I think!), and I know that they know I will receive that message though it may be passed over by others as a humorous aside.

What that person was saying was, Peggy's needs are not a problem. Yes, she has idiosyncrasies and may act or communicate differently from some other people, but actually nobody is "normal" and it is everybody's job to adjust for everybody else. While we may have made a number of observable differences to our sessions to accommodate Peggy more comfortably, Peggy has also made many adjustments in order to access our (reasonably adjusted) service.

In fact, Peggy does this all day every day in order to participate in the world, because people with her idiosyncrasies are in the minority and would not always elicit respect or kindness were they to walk through life entirely unmasked.

The person was perhaps pointing out that by highlighting the reasonable adjustments we may be making the person feel more "other," more different, more excluded, lesser by reason of us having to do something for them, or wrong because they don't fit the standard.

Of course that was not what the first person meant, and neither did I take it that way. We have a good relationship and they have been very helpful to me, even if I don't agree 100% with everything they say. They were reflecting on how we had worked together in a way that worked for both of us and acknowledging that that is not a given.

But I have to say I was glad of the second voice. It reminded me that while accommodating and including are positive and necessary there is something even more beautiful: belonging. 

I have a suspicion that the second person "gets" me better than any other professional ever has because they have a similar brain. Not on a piece of paper, but just as I find understanding comes much more naturally with autistic people or other neurodivergent people, so it does with this person. My ways do not stick out like a sore thumb to them. I am not baffling or confusing, a mystery to be solved or somebody to be scared of.

In belonging a person is of equal value, equally capable, equally interesting (or boring!). They are not remarkable, and I think that is the key: when we belong we don't have to make extra effort to access the things other people access. We don't feel like a problem and our presence isn't a speciality but a normality. To be a natural part of things is what the soul needs to be well.

It's a drop in the ocean and I wish there were more voices like that in services, but every drop affects the water around it and perhaps it rippled one or two people today - it did me.

I will always belong here


*For a suggestion, maybe one day I'll write about medical vs social model of disability but I can't be bothered right now

No comments:

Post a Comment