Wednesday 28 October 2020

How to tell the Story

 As I finished writing the previous post and discussed it with others, I started thinking about the techniques I use to try and overcome the various obstacles to communication that I listed. They don't address all of the barriers and they don't always work, but maybe some of my sneaky ways of cheating the system might help someone else with similar difficulties, or might be tweakable for someone else, or helpful to somebody trying to support communication for people with brains like mine.

I don't know that (or what) you want to know/it doesn't occur to me that it's something people would want to know/I've already told somebody/I can't think of any things to say.  These are tricky ones to get around because it's hard to know what you don't know. In some contexts it helps if people ask fairly specific questions (eg. in appointments), although this can lead to me not saying anything that isn't specifically asked so beware! In other contexts questions make it even harder for me to talk (eg. "are you OK?"/"how was your day?" General statements about the sort of things people want to know can be helpful eg. "please tell me if/when you feel bad enough that you use the crisis line" or "I like it when you tell me about specific things that happen in your day". These don't put me on the spot to perform immediately, but I can use them in future when I want/need to communicate but don't know what to say/whether someone will want to hear.

It doesn't occur to me that other people might not already know whatever it is that's in my head/ I forget that I could say things just because I want to say them/I struggle to say things purely because I want somebody to know. Sometimes I can CBT myself a bit in these situations and/or think back to the frequent conversations with my numerous professionals and peers and remind myself that people don't know what's in my head unless I tell them and there is nothing remarkable about saying things, even if people aren't interested or already know them.

I don't want attention. Telling people one to one and by a non-invasive communication message like text or direct message can help with this. Sometimes dropping things unexpectedly into unrelated conversation works for me though it probably isn't great for the other person! I may also try and change the subject again very quickly afterwards to deflect attention away.

I don't know how to say it. I find processing by writing particularly useful: brain dumps, blogging or just scribbling down whatever I am thinking or is bothering me. Other people use drawing and various different tools to help them figure out what's in their head and how to translate it into something other people might understand. If I don't have the time to do this on the spot I might be able to use a flashcard - I have a cunning one that reads "there's something I need you to know" - to get the ball rolling and help me avoid the distress of feeling trapped and despairing. We might then agree that once I've figured it out a bit if I can't at the time, I will email an explanation or a copy of my brain dump to discuss when we next speak.

Demand Avoidance/Exposure Anxiety/I don't want you to know.

  • Writing a text message about my day or my emotional state and sending it before I get home so I don't have to say it. This is less "directly-confrontational" and sometimes manageable. A bit like writing this blog, I can pretend it's just writing and that I'm not actually telling anything to any people. Pressing send can be difficult so it's best if I do it really quickly without thinking about it and then move quickly on to something else.
  • Getting in there first before anyone can ask me a question. Sometimes I can't do this though, and other times when I do it tips me over into some weird manic over-talky state which is like an elaborate mask (I can't communicate as myself so I'm almost acting a part and distancing myself inwardly from the vulnerability/anxiety that communicating brings. This is very Exposure Anxiety, if you are at all familiar with Donna Williams/Polly Samuel). So I'm still not sure if it's a good cheat or a bad one, because it does the job of communicating what I need/want to communicate, but leaves me exhausted when I come down from it.
  • Saying the thing in some entirely unrelated context where I wasn't planning to say it. This takes my brain by surprise so it doesn't have a chance to say "no" and stop me from communicating. It also gives me a feeling of safety because I have taken the other person off guard with it so I feel in control, which protects me slightly from the vulnerability of exposing the insides. Again both routes around Exposure Anxiety. I hate unpredictability in others but I like to maintain a sense of my own unpredictability... Perhaps because it keeps me freer from expectations that I am afraid I won't meet (ie demands, think PDA traits).



What do you do to help you tell the story? What do you find helpful or unhelpful as someone wanting to hear the story? Please let me know - this is very much an ongoing work for me so any ideas are helpful!

No comments:

Post a Comment