Saturday 5 September 2020

Why am I a body-listener?

In my previous post I found myself playing the piano. It made me reflect on how thankful I am for the skills that I have been taught throughout my life that bring themselves into play to try and help me. Playing music, listening to music, letting my body move in the ways it wants and needs to, seeking out dark and quiet space alone. Most of these skills were taught to me in a different context from how they help me at the moment, but they repay my investment (and that of those who teach/taught me or enabled my learning in different ways) in them over and over. I'm enormously grateful for my ability to listen in to what it is that might help in any moment - in fact it more often happens quite subconsciously that I find a compulsion towards an activity which will help to regulate me.

I began to consider this inner awareness and its origins. Is it innate in me or have I learnt it? Currently reading about Developmental Movement Play (and recently listening to a podcast sent me by a dear friend) I am reminded that that our culture as a whole tends to be painfully disembodied, with the exception of a few disciplines that have a clear focus on inhabiting the body such as yoga. Why am I less so? Is it because I have always been active? Perhaps yes, and perhaps no. The activities I took part in as a child, teenager and young adult demanded mastery of the body. This involves high-definition awareness of what the body is doing but leaves little space for asking it what it would like to be doing. 

Is it because I have spent time practising yoga and tai chi? Perhaps this has helped, but I have a feeling I did not quite grasp this aspect of yoga until after I had discovered developmental movement play. Was that the magic moment? It was magical in many ways, but the approach of JABADAO (search my blog for more posts about JABADAO) and body-listening, body-communication etc seemed to come quite naturally to me. It was as if I had found what I was made for, how to really be. I noted that it wasn't like this for everybody.

So that stuff was and is instrumental in bringing the whole concept to my thinking brain (as opposed to my body-brain wherein it had been confined previously) and helping me to utilise and develop the skills to be consciously aware of what my body and brain need - to stop and ask them, and to follow their suggestions, but I don't think it can take all the credit. I think what it did was to begin to free what was hidden in there all along, squashed somewhat by trying to fit in to our society, but not squashed as much as most people! Because my brain is more focused on the sensory world than some brains, I find it easier to access these things, or harder to ignore them. So sometimes I love autism!

No comments:

Post a Comment