Sunday 7 February 2016

Sensory Issues

I have been asked to write about how I deal with sensory issues, and particularly with consideration that I don't disclose to most people.

I will start with a bit of a disclaimer. I consider myself very lucky that I don't have any really severe sensory issues that will send me into immediate meltdown or anything like that. Most of mine are preferences (albeit strong ones!) or things that will cause me distraction but not real distress or if they really are things I find it difficult to deal with they are mostly avoidable if I am aware.

Some examples of my sensory issues:

Textures/touch
I really hate ribbons, buttons and lace. I don't find them physically painful but rather disgusting and revolting. Usually it is possible to avoid touching. Some versions are worse than others: jeans buttons are OK (though not when I was little) but I would never wear a shirt. When they are loose that is the worse. It makes me shudder and flap a bit! The thought of pearly buttons that wobble on old lady cardigans makes me want to run a mile.

Thankfully I can choose my own clothes, being an adult, but looking after children I do occasionally run into button issues. Depending on the buttons sometimes I can grit my teeth and bear it. If not, I will send the child to someone else, explaining that I have a really weird thing about buttons and I just don't like them. People usually think it's a bit odd but accept it. Sometimes I explain it as being like when people hate cotton wool or fingernails on blackboards as a lot of the general population seem to have those particular issues.

Smells
Smells tend to register either very weakly or very strongly with me. I cannot stand the smell of air freshener: it makes me want to vomit. I'd rather smell the poo or whatever bad smell it is than air freshener. I deal with this by trying to explain to people I don't like it, but they usually spray anyway. I try and keep as far away as possible until the smell has dissipated. In fact I'm not too keen on most artificial scents - I have a perfume I can tolerate but I only wear it occasionally and it tends to bother me when I can smell it on my clothes afterwards. I can stand when Mr Peggy wears aftershave but I don't really like it and find it a bit distracting.

I also have an issue with laundry smells, probably because they are an artificial scent. I can tolerate one or two kinds but others distract me a lot: all I can think about when wearing clothes washed with them is that they smell wrong. It's generally fine on other people though and Mr Peggy is very understanding and lets me buy the washing powder I want even though I'm sure he thinks I'm a bit doolally. Occasionally children have really strong-smelling fabric conditioner and that makes me want to be sick too. To deal with this I just try and keep my distance!

Sounds
I don't like really loud noise (you won't catch me at any rock concerts!) and when I'm tired I find focusing in chaotic background noise difficult. To deal with these, most really loud noises are avoidable. If not I might cover my ears for a passing ambulance or similar brief and unexpected sound. People don't seem to find this too weird. In background noise I either tune out or try and watch people's lips to hear what they are saying, or just copy the body language of other people in the conversation.

Other than that I can get distracted by sounds, for example the humming of an item of technology or outside sound. I also find it very frustrating if a sound I know well is wrong: some music players can change the tempo of the music minutely, which also adjusts the pitch minutely. In a dance class this will drive me mad while nobody else has noticed, until I eventually tell the teacher, who says "I don't think we've changed it" then finds out it is wrong!

Sight
I don't really have any visual issues though I don't find it easy to deal with bright light and I have a tendency to get stuck in visual patterns, following them round and round when I notice them. I can also get distracted by anything unexpected or something happening outside the area I am supposed to be focussing on, eg. in training.

Taste
Again, not really a problem for me. There are foods I don't like but nothing that is an ASC-related sensory issue.


Solutions
Avoidance of the unwanted stimulus is my main solution. If this requires compliance from others often a brief "I know this is weird, but..." works.
Otherwise, I tend to get over the issue by indulging in sensory input that relaxes me. This varies according to setting, particular issue I want to get past and other variables but can include:


  • rubbing my index finger on my thumbnails or thumbnails on my face around mouth
  • letting my eyes lose focus and 'zoning out' for a while
  • wearing either loose, comfortable clothes or something that gives even pressure eg. leotard and tights, leggings etc
  • listening to music
  • walking outside in the breeze/wind/near water
  • having a shower or bath
  • watching TV

These things are methods I have noticed that help me to descale from impending sensory overload. I probably have more issues with brain overload (emotional/communicative) than physical sensory issues so can do a post on that if required.

Hope that answers some questions. Please ask as always for more details or things I have not covered.

No comments:

Post a Comment