Wednesday 14 December 2022

Echolalia

So my previous post has made me finally write this one! I've been mulling over another of those "autism comorbidities*" for a few weeks - one that I've not thought about much before: echolalia.

Now I found this great article that pretty much says everything I wanted to say about it, so I would suggest you read that instead.

But if you can't be bothered I will summarise:

Echolalia is basically repeating words or phrases, either immediately or later. It used to be described as "meaninglessly" or "pointlessly" but this is SO WRONG. People do it for many reasons: to help process what they've heard, to communicate a response, to perform socially (ie. they know a response is required but don't know what), because it's fun or stimmy, to communicate a new message, to practise speech sounds, to make links and categorise new information (ok, that's similar to the first one I said - processing).

Actually it's not just an "autism" thing - people quoting films in everyday conversations are technically doing it - but autistic people can tend to do it a lot more, or a higher percentage of their communication might consist of borrowed phrases. In fact it's amazing how much you can say with recycled dialogue and some communicators are ingenious at getting a message across either what they have. I always remember Joanna Grace telling of a lad who said everything he needed to through quotes from Thomas the Tank Engine: "But wait, we've left the refreshment lady behind!" was the way he reminded the teachers of a quiet member of the class who nearly got left behind one day!

I do it more than I had realised - like with the surprising item in the bagging area title to my previous post. I think I do it mostly for fun - it is a little like word play to me - and also because my brain makes links, connections and patterns. It likes to join things together looking for patterns, so often if I say something that is also in a book or song I will extend my sentence by finishing the quote, for example Little Peggy might be wandering off up the road as he does, and I will say "where are you going?" but then I finish with "to, little brown mouse" from the Gruffalo. Sometimes I carry on further through the story! If I say "here I am" I usually follow it up with "send me", a quote from Isaiah in the Bible that I've heard a few talks on.

Maybe it's partly completeness for me. If my brain has made the link to something else it wants to complete that thing or at least acknowledge the link in order to let go of it and move on. Other times it's playful. And perhaps if I am not in the mood to communicate directly it is easier to use someone else's words as they feel less personal or vulnerable. At any rate I think it's less effort and more fun to use preloved phrases - I don't have to put words together, I can be a bit artistic, and in a weird way I know it's "right" because it's already been said by someone else, so I can't get it wrong and be weird. Which of course is nonsense because it can make you sound a lot more weird! And writing that I realise I have a whole lot of words and phrases that I have pilfered from many many real life people over the years - some I just like, but I think the theory may be "they are accepted and respected; if I use their words I will be too - I will belong and won't get it wrong.

So yes, read the article and get interested - the more I think about it the more fascinated I get!


*What a terrible term! Basically just a Thing, that quite often coincides with being autistic, but can happen without being autistic and not all autistic people do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment