Tuesday 11 August 2020

The Oldways

 If I wasn't already known as the village crazy lady then walking barefoot down the street stroking my hand with the fronds of a fabulous piece of reed should have done it!

This walk was long overdue and as soon as I left the house my feet let me know they wanted to be on the ground, not the flip flops I had put them in. I ignored them for the duration of the appointment I had gone out for, but as soon as it was over I had to let them be free. 

My feet found so many wonderful treats and treasures for me and led me to where I needed to be. 















Long grass, short grass, cool grass, warm grass. Hot hard tarmac. Smooth paving. Earth baked dry and earth with a spring. Soft dirt, spiky stones. Bark that wakes up each millimetre of forgotten sole.

Insects buzzing, breeze in the trees, pigeons beating the air with their wings. Doves cooing, tiny popping as water evaporates under the sun from the drying stream, and the odd drip from the grasses growing into the water. A distant pheasant. Butterflies dancing. Songbirds chattering. And me, finally still. Sitting, silent. Breeze stroking my skin in the warm shadow. Bare feet, breathing the life around me, being part of this place in this moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment