Friday 7 December 2018

Failure or Progress? When the autism monkey invades

This term has been going pretty well. Admittedly I've flagged a bit since week two, but we're on the home straight: 4 of 7 weeks completed and this is the last week of my evening commitments so I know the next two weeks will have more space. I've got much better at dealing with things, understanding and communicating my needs and so on and so forth, so have been quietly looking forward to completing a whole half term clean: last term (an 8-weeker) only held one drama and that was solved by the new and groundbreaking technique of going home and recovering (shocking I know!).

We had a great time!
Then came this week. I misjudged the weekend, having a wonderful day dancing on Saturday with friends, but instead of taking Sunday as a nothing day I took the utterly wild decision of doing an hour's shopping on my way home. This sacrificed my alone time and I had jobs to do in the evening once Mr Peggy was in. I should know better, but sometimes I get complacent and think it can't cost too much to do one extra Thing at the weekend (I generally limit to one Thing per weekend, and try to keep alternate weekends empty, having learnt that this allows me to function during the week). Turns out it does if you're me.

Monday nearly finished me off and I knew I wasn't on top form for supporting some of our little people, so I did a Thing (bold just to differentiate from the Things above!!). I found Mrs School and told her I thought I needed to call in sick for tomorrow. Mrs School has been on this whole parade with me and understood what a Thing it was and was very proud of me for my great achievement. I spent the rest of the week being congratulated by various people for this step in my development: rather humorous but very powerful. How grateful I am to be surrounded by supportive Peggies who are invested in wanting the best for me.

So, having done the Thing I returned on Wednesday, back to functioning level and feeling rather pleased that my bravery had paid off. Yes, I did mourn the loss of my clean half term and deal with some rude Brian behaviour but I came out on top and realised that I am still the winner because actually, I recognised the need and acted on it before ending up in disaster-land. I was able to reflect that a half-term with a day off and without crisis at work is a better achievement than a full half term having dragged myself along at 25%, lost progress on my mental health and needing the full holiday just to begin recovering from the term. Yay! Well done Peggy!

Enter FRIDAY MORNING.

SQUARE PEGGY is much as she has been every morning. She struggles to get out of bed and reflects that actually, she does pretty well day to day. When you consider that by the time she gets to work she has overcome several difficult transitions and sources of anxiety (Getting out of bed, getting out of the shower, leaving the pets, getting out of the car. Dealing with the anxiety of possibly being late, what might happen during the day, whether she's been an acceptable human being etc.), it's reasonable that she sometimes feels a bit wobbly. 

FRIDAY MORNING presents SQUARE PEGGY with an email announcing that the weekly Friday morning meeting (that she panicked for the whole journey she would be late for) is cancelled. She doesn't cope well without this meeting and if she misses it her Friday always feels uncomfortable. FRIDAY MORNING then informs SQUARE PEGGY that assembly is semi-cancelled and to take place in classrooms instead.

SQUARE PEGGY cries in a bathroom for 20 minutes to process this information, then gets herself to class. She plans to try and tell someone it isn't a good day but this is difficult to communicate. She tells herself that if she can get to lunch time she is doing hydrotherapy in the afternoon and that will be OK. She can do this.

As she goes to collect the children FRIDAY MORNING informs her that the pool is closed due to illness. Five minutes later a visitor she had forgotten was coming for the morning enters the room. She holds it together until the children are safe and settled in class and excuses herself to visit the bathroom, where she cries for another five minutes. 

Long story short; Friday is not spent at school either. I've not had the week I was expecting, and today hit me right out of the blue when I thought I was fine.

A tramp on my moor solves a lot!

I have come a long way though: I am now able to reflect with less self-criticism and take on others' comments about the difference between this week's wobbles and those in the past.

On Tuesday I called it before it got to the stage of turning into a crisis. Full on win.
Today I had no idea it was coming, but actually I overcame the first wave of Bad Stuff and didn't completely melt down even at the second. I was able to verbalise what the problem had been, I didn't have to wrap myself in my blanket and calm down for half an hour, I could accept that maybe it was sensible to go home. I went home even though Mr Peggy was there, and I told him I was coming. I looked after myself on the way home, because I'm learning that I am not an exception to the rest of the world: I make progress when I am safe and cared for, not when I am told off and criticised.

I still have an ideal of perfect functioning that I feel substandard for not meeting, and the outcome isn't what I was looking for, but neither is the outcome entirely negative. I am learning, I am progressing, and as that happens I may well move more towards my ideal of functioning. But if I don't, I will accept that. I have autism. This means some things are more difficult for me than they are for other people. It is sometimes hard to be me, but it is not wrong to be me.

2 comments:

  1. This is my first time reading your blog. I love how personal it is. I had no idea! It doesn't matter that I didn't but it certainly makes me think more about myself and those around me. I am told I am too soft for giving folk the benefit of the doubt. But this highlights the necessity for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you. Yes, you can really have no idea what is happening inside someone unless they have told you themselves!

      I mostly write for myself, to help me process, so it does end up being quite personal! (As well as the fact that I only really feel qualified to talk about my own experience.) But for a long time I was very careful to try and be unidentifiable so earlier posts may be more vague! But I'm a lot more comfortable with people knowing things now because the more I have shared the more positives have come out of it.

      Delete