Saturday 8 December 2018

Failure or Progress? The mental health analysis

Welcome to Week 5! All I can say of Week 5 is that it has offered a veritable plethora of opportunities to practise self-compassion.

Joking aside, it has been rather an odd week which has at times baffled my attempts to disentangle my thoughts and responses to events and actions.

I'm glad I have engaged in the disentangling process though: it has been rather enlightening. When I originally wrote the sentence above, it read "has at times baffled my attempts to disentangle the positives and negatives." My rewriting reflects way my perspective is changing, which is actually a pleasant surprise, because as well as logically being able to produce the arguments I am beginning to almost believe them. Credit I believe to my psychologist and some really lovely people who keep talking sense at me. It's easy to forget where I've come from, or to feel discouraged when I see the long road in front of me, but little bits of change really are happening - something I never properly believed possible. I hoped, but I could not see how it could actually come about. I suppose that's why we go to therapy...

I did a Thing!
So yes, this week included a Thing. I did a Thing! I took a day off work sick. I mean, admittedly I did have to arrange it the day before, and I had to battle the Brian, but I did the Thing! And do you know what, I have such wonderful people around me that I spent the rest of the week being congratulated by various people (from Mrs School-Peggy to Mr Peggy, Welsh Peggy to Mummy Peggy and other lovely Peggies) for my rather unorthodox "achievement".

I fought with self-criticism and feeling useless, with bitter disappointment that I had spoiled my chance of a full half-term with no time off, and many other emotions, but those around me gave me another voice to hear. One that saw the progress in being able to recognise the danger signs before crisis. The bravery in deciding to communicate that to someone else and following up that decision. The seeds of self-care in listening to and acknowledging my needs when they aren't what I want them to be. A voice that may one day exist within me, as I realised that a term with a day off but without meltdown at school may genuinely be better than a term with full attendance leading to decline in my mental health and functioning level at work and a holiday barely recovering from the term.

Square Peggy 1 - 0 Brian

But then of course came FRIDAY. Just to test the battlefield. FRIDAY did not treat me well. I was fine in the morning, but was battered with two double-attacks of immediate and unexpected changes that re-wrote the whole day. I managed to weather the first attack with a good old tried-and-tested bathroom sob session and told myself that I could get to lunch time and then the afternoon would be OK (a low-stress activity for me that was as yet according to timetable). The second wave finished me off and as soon as everything was safe I excused myself for another bathroom session. Decided in a very grown-up manner to let Teacher Peggy know I was struggling, but we ran into each other on my way back to class and she bundled me off to Safe Peggy and I ended up trundling home.

Cue Brian trying for another point. I hadn't even managed the term without meltdown at school now. Why can't I deal with the things like other people can? Why should I be special? Not pulling my weight, useless, causing trouble: mean comments ad nauseum. And yes, I am still struggling with those thoughts, and with the worry that it will happen again or that I will end up back where I was, be unable to work full time etc etc.

BUT even there I know it is not all bad. I got through the first wave of death. I didn't go into complete crisis at the second ("I'm not counting this as a crisis because x, y, and z" was actually said to me!). I was able to tell somebody what the problem was. I looked after myself during the day - went for a tramp on my moor, really stuck two fingers up at Brian by stopping for a hot chocolate on the way home, and put no demands on myself for the rest of the day.

So for the minute, I'm practising seeing that "failure" and "progress" may be closer than I think. Treating myself with acceptance and aiming towards compassion. Not labelling things as "good" or "bad" but letting them just be what they are, with the rainbow of emotional responses that brings. (See this fabulous article by Joanna Grace on rainbow emotional regulation.)

And I am loudly expressing my gratitude for so many people who tell me things so convincingly that I almost believe they mean them, who let me experience a voice other than the one in my head, and who back me up when I nearly hear it myself, celebrating when I follow it. You have had a big part in any progress I am making. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for being with Team Peggy.

I have autism. This means some things are more difficult for me than they are for other people. It can sometimes be hard to be me, but it is not wrong to be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment