Monday 14 November 2022

I love the hat!

I'm so proud of this hat! 


I decided to make rather than buy because I enjoy knitting and I haven't knitted anything for ages, and I'm trying to make sure I do some activities just for me that I enjoy when I can. So I'm proud I prioritised me rather than just buying. It also feels more personal and special than any old hat and more sustainable than buying (though that might just be my simple perception!).

I'm also proud that I taught myself a new skill. I chose a pattern that I liked but it used a technique I've never learnt before that looks complicated. So instead of picking something else I remembered that I like learning so I decided to give it a go. And then I taught myself! Usually I would think that I need somebody to teach me because it's too complicated for me to figure out and easier to learn in person. But I had a look round the Internet and worked out how to cable all by myself.

I'm proud that I did it well. I made quite a few mistakes along the way but for each of them I managed to figure out where I had gone wrong and what I had done and how to fix it. Previously I've always had someone else around more experienced than me who can fix mistakes or help me fix them, but I found out if I think about it I can work it out myself. I'm a better knitter than I thought, and than I was when I started the project. Of course there was also plenty of whingeing and panicking that Mr Peggy tolerated very well!

And finally, I'm proud it's not perfect. It's good, but it's not perfect - it's not 100% even on every row and stitch, and I didn't reverse the sewing for the turnup when I was sewing it up (my sewing up isn't the neatest either!). So I'm proud that I can take ownership of it and say "Yes, I made this. Yes, it's not perfect. But it's also good, and I like it." I don't have to be perfect and not everything I do has to be perfect. It's a cute, cosy hat, I made it, I taught myself a skill, I did some problem-solving and puzzling and I love the end product, imperfections and all. Plus, it means my one-of-a-kind won't be mistaken for a production line replica ;)

Who cares whether the toddler actually likes it 🤷‍♀️🤣 


(He pulls it straight off, as Mummy helpfully made it plenty big enough for the ever-growing giant. My friend is going to fleece line it for me so we'll see whether that makes a difference.)

No comments:

Post a Comment