Thursday 25 August 2022

Fine Mesh Part I: Language

I experience the world through a finer mesh than average. Perhaps that is a large part of what being autistic means to me.

Mr Peggy and I often observe that my definitions for things are narrower than his - colours, words, categories and subcategories of object. For me the window of variation before something becomes a different thing is small. It is also important to me that things are correctly identified. If the wrong (for me) word is used it is not accurate. Inaccuracy sets off an alert of "Error! This cannot exist! It is not true!" in my brain which is incredibly difficult to quiet without being resolved. The fine mesh makes this happen a lot more often.

So I tend to be very precise with language. Pedantic is a word that has been applied throughout my life - probably accurate ;) 

My need for accuracy is partly related to truth - as explained above if a "wrong" word is used it registers as untrue, untruth being close to intolerable. And of course my default outlook being black-and-white doesn't help! But also, if things are not accurate and true as expected, the chaos of the world becomes even more overwhelming. I am confused because I don't understand what people are talking about, or it takes me longer to work out. In conversation this just looks like I'm being an awkward pedant when in reality I'm working overtime to keep up. And to really top off the world's chaos, if I can't depend on one thing being true - sometimes the very foundation of my understanding of the world (language) - what can I depend on? If words and concepts can change their meaning what else can? What is stable and dependable? How can I share an understanding with someone else if we are working on different foundations? Everything swims and the constants that I function on sink beneath my feet. I mean, imagine if gravity just stopped being true, right?! It wouldn't only be my world that became topsy-turvy!

Even on a simple day to day level, imagine you visit a different part of the country and ask for a bun. In the North you'll get cake; in the South, bread. (Hey, even bread and cake can be a contentious divide - banana cake or banana bread?!) Surprising, even funny, as a one off, but imagine everything being like that. It would be completely incomprehensible, exhausting, terrifying. You'd have no idea what to expect. And knowing what to expect is hugely important to everybody, but especially to autistic people precisely for the reasons I'm talking about here: because the world is so chaotic and our base anxiety levels are so high, and because a slightly different alternative may be completely intolerable on a sensory level too (such as a slightly different texture or colour) - to be suddenly and unexpectedly faced with an intolerable experience instead of what you imagined/expected can be highly distressing.

As a side note, one way I consciously mask every day is to not correct external inaccuracies. I correct myself frequently when speaking (and when writing - it's why I use so many parentheses and go back and edit "intolerable" to "close to intolerable"), not because I am holding myself to some high standard or criticising myself, but because it is more natural than allowing a possible misunderstanding to remain. It is easier and less effort to refine for accuracy than to contain those impulses .

A lot of corrections to other people's speech or to written material do escape because I don't catch them quickly enough, and the masking doesn't always work very well because it turns out my face usually doesn't succeed in wearing the mask even if I restrain myself from comment. I come across as overly critical but I am actually spending a lot of energy on inhibiting reflexes to make everyone else more comfortable! In fact if I correct you a lot it means I feel more comfortable in your presence to mask less!! I wish it were easier for people to know that it's not personal, neither is it judgmental (people think I think they're stupid if I "correct" them, which ain't true!) and I'm not being obnoxious. I'm refiltering what they've said so that it fits through my fine mesh and I can process it better, nothing more, nothing less.

More to come on fine mesh through a sensory lens.

No comments:

Post a Comment