Friday 20 August 2021

Always Be Prepared

I never take my clothes off inside out, because that means I would have to turn them the right way again, either when putting in the wash, hanging up to dry, putting away or getting out to wear. That would be annoying. It's much easier to just take them off the right way.

My routines and preferences and "correct" ways of doing things generally have an important reason behind them, and I have usually formed them through experience in order to avoid anything from minor inconvenience to high distress. I prefer to wash up as I go along when cooking so there's not a big pile waiting later when we want to relax. I make sure I have everything I want to hand before I start feeding Baby Peggy. I write emails before appointments so we know what to talk about. I always put things in the same places so I don't have to look for them - I know where everything is. I always have my rucksack with me with a gazillion things I occasionally or frequently need (blanket, notebook, headphones, diary etc etc etc). 

I wasn't quite sure what to title this post or what my main point is, but I want to write something about being prepared, or being informed, or being in control.

I invest a lot of energy on being prepared in life and thinking ahead to anticipate problems and head them off before they happen. This often looks to others like being pessimistic, wasting time and energy (I don't always do things the quickest way; I do them the best way for me that makes them easier in the end) and being fussy, awkward, controlling, paranoid or pedantic.

One of my major concerns right from early pregnancy was how I would cope with being in the hospital due to the intense emotions I have surrounding the memories of my past experiences there.

I could have tried for a home birth but found the uncertainty around this difficult to manage. If staffing was short on the day or if I had complications I would have had to go in anyway, and then I would have had the additional stresses of it being a change to plan and of not having worked on accessing the hospital. And there was no way of avoiding a small number of visits antenatally - any visits to triage for concerns about movements had to be made there and although they were very accommodating about trying to get my scans at the local hospital one or two had to be in the hospital where I have the main issues. 

So I decided early on that I needed to tackle the issue rather than trying to avoid it and we embarked on a Grand Preparation Scheme.

In the end I was advised to give birth in hospital for medical reasons and had to be induced a week early, so I was glad of this decision.

Good old Stan
There were visits to the maternity unit, starting out very small with just what I could manage, with my familiar midwife. She used different routes to avoid the worst places and this was accommodated even when we had to make unplanned visits without anyone who knew me (after some very clumsy explaining by me, translated by good old Mr Peggy!). I had a summary of my needs and difficulties and how best to support me on the front of my notes, and worked on communication cards with my OT. We planned what distress tolerance techniques I could use and I practised them on visits (fidget toys, my weighted sloth Stanley, acknowledging my thoughts and feelings in speech or writing or just internally, acting opposite to the unhelpful urges that arise when trying to cope, distraction activities such as reading and puzzle books). I wrote down all the questions and worries I had (not all at once but as they came to me!) and took them to whomever could help so I knew exactly what to expect. People knew to ask me what I had written down for them, or to discuss whatever I had said in my pre-appointment email. I watched every episode of One Born Every Minute to give me an idea of scenarios that might come up or things that might trigger me in the delivery room. I carefully didn't make any rigid birth plans in case of need to change them and instead researched all options and practised telling myself that whatever I need is OK. I prepared myself to pay conscious attention to what I need and make it non-negotiable to communicate this to those around me. I thought about whether I needed to take my own soap that smells OK, prepared myself for the food situation in hospital and packed familiar snacks, and packed other familiar calming items such as my bedside sensory light.

Very brief explanation of
a safety behaviour

To some people all this extensive preparation might seem over the top or like a safety behaviour. Perhaps it is. But do you know what? For me it worked. I didn't need everything I had prepared but I had prepared everything I needed. Nothing took me by surprise, I had all the coping strategies I required, and I was able to communicate my needs. Neurotic safety behaviour that perpetuates anxiety or sensible anticipation and solving of problems? Perhaps a bit of both.

Either way, compared to my first hospital stay where I had no idea what was happening, felt very overwhelmed and ended up with a lot of unprocessed experiences that still trouble me now, this time was a world apart. I used past experience to inform me about what would be difficult and what would help, and it was worth every minute. My birth was a positive one and I have none of the overwhelming and complicated emotions attached to my memories this time. I am very grateful to everybody who supported me throughout the preparation process.

No comments:

Post a Comment