Friday 24 July 2020

Whisper


Whistles and shrill squeals awaken the evening air as the swifts soar and arc across the sky in their infinite playground of freedom. They have brought me peace and joy in summers gone by, but I said goodbye to those days as they were followed by dark, dark ones and it became too painful to remember the rising promise of life when it had since been dashed so thoroughly.

And yet tonight the warm breeze that gently stirs the birch leaves brushes my skin with the softness, security and familiarity of a well-loved blanket, delivering the faintest glimmer of what I thought was lost to me: forbidden, abandoned hope. It's gentle enough to be permissible - it slides in, the tiniest of feelings, barely noticeable so as not to alert the beast within to its presence, and yet I know it has visited me.

Hope is painful, it brings uncertainty and the possibility of crushing, destroying disappointment. These things I cannot bear and so by habit I squash hope. I box it up for when I'm sure - it's lovely to know it's there but I can't bear to touch it. But this hope stole quietly up to me and stroked me on the cheek, not overpowering with its presence but simply passing by just to let me know it was there. It didn't need me to take it captive, it will come again when I'm ready for it, and I will learn one day to dance with hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment