Saturday 18 May 2019

Stigma: Mental Health Awareness Week 2019

I thought I'd address stigma as that is obviously one of the main aims of Mental Health Awareness Week: to get people talking and reduce stigma, to remind people that "people with a mental health problem" are just people (most of us will experience some aspect of trouble with our mental health at some point in our life), to help reduce feelings of shame and isolation.

As I pointed out earlier, I write about mental health on here because it is something that closely ties in with my autism and a large part of my life recently has been managing these. I consider myself pretty understanding of issues concerned with mental health, I try and educate myself on how different aspects affect different people, I try and be a good friend. I will happily fight for other people's needs and increasingly voice my own on occasion and I will shout (metaphorically) about whatever is needed to reduce stigma.

So what should I post as a special for Mental Health Awareness Week? It would be appropriate to write a big reveal of my whole mental health story, of a condition that desperately needs people to do just that. But it turns out I, the inclusive, mental-health-aware person, have too much stigma. I still have too much shame to tell the world the less palatable truth about the ins and outs of trying to live with and recover from my particular brand of Brian. It's fine if it's someone else, but the fact that I can't own up to my own truth displays a level of stigma I don't care to be associated with.

Because I like to make people happy and to reinforce to myself the positive aspects of life and recovery I tend to make sure I end on a positive when I'm writing: the positive coping strategies I've used, the fact that it's OK to have difficult times, the silver lining to the cloud. This is a good thing, and it's important to highlight hope because it saves us, but it might leave you with a false image of me as a super-well-adjusted person winning at living with and recovering from mental health problems. I still have shame. I still cry on bathroom floors. I still use bad coping mechanisms. I still hide, so this is a bit of a non-post really.

But in usual style I will come round to the positive at the end. My new GP gave me a beautiful nugget this week. She is fab and seems intent on supporting me as I carry on post-discharge. She asked about things I do to help when I'm having a difficult time and I ended up explaining as I have to many people before "I am the queen of positive coping strategies. I have them coming out of my ears (metaphorically). And yet we're still here".

And where would you be if you didn't have them?

Hm, touché my friend.

(I'm pretty sure others have pointed this out before - my favourite Welsh Peggy for certain! - but for some reason it hit the spot at that moment). It still leaves me wondering where to go when I've used every tool in the book and still need the oh-so-effective maladaptive strategies, but at least I have strategies to get me this far. And re. my last post, just because I'm where I am right now doesn't mean I will be forever.

Maybe I'll tell my story another year.

No comments:

Post a Comment