Monday 17 September 2018

Busy Being OK

I can't really be sitting here by a field, the wind in my hair, birds in the air, while the day is carrying on without me. And I am not there. I am supposed to be there. I have a duty to be there, and The Plan was to be there. I can't not be there. Yet the wind in my hair and the pain in my stomach tell me I am here, and so do the tears as they start to fall. It's a cruel twist that the wind helping to calm me is carrying the voices of the local school children playing outside.


There are difficult conversations to be had, and difficult, heavy decisions to be made. The magnitude of the moment is at once a crushing heaviness and a weightlessness of incomprehension. For now, all I can really understand are the wind, the flight of the birds, the movement of the clouds, the water droplets on the leaves next to me. The tractor in the field behind me turns the soil. I remember how to breathe again.


Now, with the sun on my face and the wind moving my body, I know that for the minute it is fine to be busy being OK. I will sit here for as long as I need to.



I sat next to a field for two hours. Not quite true. I sat next to a field for an hour and a half, then I did some mindful stretching next to a field for half an hour. Then I went for a walk. I crunched leaves, I followed butterflies, I laid on the earth with the sun on my face. I stopped to watch the water sparkle and the dandelion clock fly away on the wind. I made a moment for the tiny blue wildflowers, I smelt the cowpats and I felt the textures under my feet. I let myself be captivated by the dancing and flickering of tiny white leaves bright among the darker trees of the woods. I remembered me. I am very grateful to be able to do these things, no matter what else I can or can not do.






No comments:

Post a Comment