Saturday 13 July 2024

My Baby Girl (bonding)

My baby girl. This probably isn't the post you're expecting. It's not about my beautiful, perfect newborn and how besotted I am with her. I wrote those posts after our son was born. My first child, pretty much the best thing that had happened to me and although near-impossible at times and full of difficulty and distress, each day brought the delight in my little bundle that is associated with welcoming a new life. My life felt completed and fulfilled by meeting and caring for this baby. 

Now I watch in confusion and guilt as friends and even strangers coo in admiration of my second child, who is almost indistinguishable in photographs from the first. They are entranced by her cuteness, in awe and wonder at her skin and her nose and her smell and vying for time with her. Now I know borrowing a baby is very different from keeping one, but these people seem to love her more than I do. It's all wrong, that's not how this was meant to be.

Can't deny those toes are cute though...

Not that I hate her or even dislike her (for which I'm hugely grateful), but that connection, that love and delight, it just hasn't come yet. Joy doesn't spring up the moment I pick her up, and my nervous system doesn't suddenly breathe when she flops warmly on me. She's OK, she's not horrible or anything, but she doesn't feel like mine.

I'm thankful I have mental health support in place due to my struggles during pregnancy, and that I'm reassured that actually the magic bond (whatever that is) is rarely instant and that in many or even most cases it takes days, weeks or even months to grow, just as getting to know anybody else in life. There's nothing wrong with me or with her, it doesn't reflect on me as a parent or as a person and it doesn't mean it's how I feel forever.

But just as I can logically know that she is mine yet not feel that truth as my reality, I can know that it won't be like this forever and it's not because I don't love her, while also feeling sad, confused, guilty and worried about it. 

I feel almost as though I have been robbed of our first few weeks together; like I haven't really been there. Perhaps because I had such a negative experience of pregnancy, and distanced myself from it as much as possible so my brain hasn't caught up, or perhaps because the birth was a bit chaotic and I didn't get to feed her for a couple of hours afterwards, or perhaps because of the complicated emotions surrounding having a second child and the monumental and sudden shift in relationship with my first, or even because of our previous miscarriage, I think I've somehow been a bit dissociated from the beginning of our life together.

I care for her, problem-solve about her, interact with her and make sure to smile at her and talk to her and respond to her cues. I do enjoy kissing her on the head and stroking her hair at the back of her head, because they are soft and it feels nice. And as time goes by, the times where her warm weight rests on me in sleepy trust are where the seeds of connection start to germinate. But a lot of it is conscious, deliberate, almost as though I'm watching myself doing it rather than being there doing it, feeling it happen naturally because she's my daughter. 

And that's why I didn't know whether I would post this. What kind of parent feels like this about their child? Who doesn't love their baby; their longed-for rainbow baby? Who has days where they genuinely would not be bothered if somebody said that they were taking the baby away? And what kind of parent would admit it? And what kind of child would be able to hear these things about their early days without being damaged by it? I am the biggest part of her world in these early days; I am all she knows about goodness, and so I feel ashamed that she trusts and loves me implicitly even though I feel like this. Thankfully the strongest of those truths did not last long, and as well as the negatives gradually ebbing, the gaps are starting to fill, little by little. But it turns out, the parent living those truths could be any parent. And IS a lot more parents than you'd know, which is why I will be honest about it. In the midst of those times that was my reality. I didn't know if or when it would change. I was terrified I would love one of my children and not the other, and even more terrified that they would realise or that I'd treat them unfairly.

Bonding happens differently for different people, and can happen differently with each new baby. It can be affected by a whole number of other factors, such as traumatic birth, ill health of parent or baby or another family member, previous mental illness, difficult life circumstances (eg. financial struggles, housing, relationship difficulties, etc). But a lack of bonding, or delayed or difficult bonding is not a lack of love, and it is not hopeless or to be endured in silence, pain and shame. It may feel like you don't love your child, but the love in that time is different. It may not be flowing, emotional, "love you to bits" (unfortunate phrase for the autistic among us...!) love, but the deliberate love of actively caring for your baby and pursuing a bond where it has not sprung naturally, is a dedication to the child you know is yours and want to feel is yours. And there are ways to encourage the emotional bonding, and to water the seeds of connection. If you're as lucky as I have been, there are people trained to help you along the way, but I do know how stretched services are. Many times the seeds will find their own way to grow in their own time. Because it feels scary or bleak or devastating or hopeless does not mean it is so or will always be so. As is the message I am so often trying to give, there is hope. I find it risky, dangerous, to hope, but even just a few weeks on from starting this post I can use experience to tell you just because something is true now, does not mean it will always be. 

And my second message is that there should be no shame or hesitation in talking about these things. I am quite an open person on this blog. I air many of my difficult emotions and experiences here in the hope that they will help others in some way by increasing understanding. Yet it took me two months to write and I really wasn't certain I would post this. Could I admit to people who know me what was going on underneath those first few weeks? I talked about parts of it, feeling different to having my first, and the sadness of missing him now I was spending less quality time with him, but could I reveal the depth and truth of it? Would people judge? Would they not believe me because I looked like I loved her? But there should be no shame. And so I disarm the shame by talking about it. Sometimes things in a brain just don't slot in how we expect them to, and we shouldn't have to carry that burden alone. I'm thankful I don't, and that I have Mr Peggy, close family and friends, and a bunch of professionals who are there for me. I know not everybody does, so if anything here resonates and it might help to share it, please do message me.

1 comment:

  1. I think you are incredibly brave and strong in writing your truth, it’s not bad, not wrong, just different to your first. I had the same issue with Alisha, it’s so common yet so many won’t admit it due to the guilt and shame but the more that do say and be honest about it, hopefully the more people will feel less alone and therefore able to talk about it. It’s a great blog I thoroughly enjoyed reading and you should be proud of yourself mamma. Lots of love coming your way xxx

    ReplyDelete